In July 1959, In accordance with the establishment of Vinh Teacher Training College’s branch, the subjects of Marxism and Leninism were selected as mandatory subjects.

From 1960 to 1973, lecturers of Marxism and Leninism were sent to all departments of the College to teach these subjects.

In September 1974, Vinh Teacher Training College decided to establish the Section of Marxism and Leninism.

On September 28, 1985, the Minister of Education and Training signed the Decision No 1117/QĐ-BGD on the authorization of the establishment of Political Education Department. In the academic year 1986-1987, the Department taught four subjects: Marxist-Leninist philosophy, Marxist-Leninist political economy, scientific socialism and history of the Vietnamese communism.    

In the academic year 1986-1987, the Department of Political Education made the first enrolment of students (Course 27) with 30 students.

From 1991 to 1999, the Department collaborated with the University of Law, Ha Noi University, Ha Noi Open University to train bachelors of law with four courses from the 33rd to 36th with nearly 1,000 students. Many of them became key staff of Nghe An Province, local districts, people’s procuracies,  courts, justice authorities. The department also trained bachelors of economics jointly with the Department of Economics of Ha Noi University, and bachelors of agricultural economics for Hung Nguyen District jointly with Ha Noi 1 University of Agriculture.

In the academic year 2015-2016, the Department trained two regular undergraduate majors including political education for teaching and politics, and two regular master majors the theory of teaching methodology of political education and politics in four campuses of Vinh University, Sai Gon University, Long An Industrial University and Dong Thap University.

The Department has prepared for the opening of two more majors including doctor of politics and bachelor of public policy.

With the achievements gained and contributions from the establishment, the Department was awarded certificates of merits by the Prime Minister in 1998 and in 2004.